Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Beauty Salons in India

Often we have laughed as we pass beauty parlors here in India. They are often called Saloons. Interesting. Hair cuts, walls of polish, pedicures, and wax are not exactly what comes to mind when I think of a saloon.

I have been thankful for my little outings with Ann for so many reasons but it is pretty fabulous that she introduced me to Alice's salon. I will keep the actual name of her salon private for security/safety reasons but I love supporting her business because she is a Christian! I love supporting the businesses or ministries here that further the kingdom. Such a cool deal.

Well Ann introduced me and we have gone for pedicures, haircuts, brow threads, and hot oil massages many times since I arrived here. Man Oh Man, those head massages with the hot coconut oil can put you in a trance! Seriously! Wonderful stuff.

The differences in salons back home and the saloons here is quite drastic. I only mentioning these things not to be critical but just for the sake of comparison. Most salons in the States are clean, modern, hip spacious flats that allow for privacy and pampering....and are pretty expensive. None of those words could describe anything in this country, least of all a salon, however this is India, and I was not necessarily expecting the same standards I was used to back home but I have to admit I was a little surprised. The space is very small and cramped and takes some getting used to. The pampering happens as I consider a pedicure pampering and a massage -both of which I have had here- so that one works. Comfort though was a tough sell in such a small cramped place. The pedi's and massages are done while sitting in what I know as plastic lawn chairs and the pedi was not clean by any means. The bucket of cold water was lightly rinsed and re filled after the previous client for soaking my feet prior to my pedicure. Interesting. The same tools were used (without rinsing or chemically treating) after scrubbing the bottoms or scraping underneath the toes between Ann and I. We had different girls at the same time working the bottoms of our rough and tough -lived in India now for months now- feet but they shared the same tools which I found a little gross that they were not cleaned between use/client. Interesting. But seriously, I was getting a much needed pedicure. No way would I be complaining about anything! It is just the way it is. And I have yet to mention the cost. Things in India are usually way cheaper than in America and the salon is no different.

I still do not understand the waxing customs here too. Women here often wax their legs but do not wax their eyebrows. They thread them. I had my eye brows done today because of the Italian in my blood they tend to get out of control rather quickly. I have to say -O-U-C-H! OUCH!!!!! Threading is way worse and burns and hurts. A lot! Waxing is so much easier I just do not understand why the women here do not wax -especially if they wax everything else. Again, I am not complaining- although maybe the painful brows are a little sore- but merely mentioning it to document the differences.

For all that being said, i truly mean it when I say it has been fun going to Alice's place. Coffee is always served in tiny little espresso sized mugs with tiny matching saucers and is always so yummy and comforting. All three times I have been in the salon new brides are in getting ready for their big day. The super fancy Saris, veils, hair braided with gold threads and jewels adorning their heads....absolutely beautiful! My favorite was this one bride in a fancy white sari. She was sitting right next to me as my hair was getting a slight trim. She was sitting there alone as her attendants were in the next room. She and Ann and I were completely alone for a moment as the salon ladies left to go attend to her attendants. I sneakily stared at her and she was just gazing at herself. I would have given anything to know what she was thinking. She just studied every aspect of her face and hair and all of herself in the mirror before her. She looked perfect. And as I was staring at her (hopefully for me-completely unaware of my infatuation with her beauty and excitement for her and her big day ahead) she smiled a herself approvingly. She just smiled and it warmed me greatly! I could not help but smile myself quickly looking down and away not wanting to be found out that I caught that, or caught myself for staring, I was so excited to witness that subtle happy approval of herself on the day she should be glowing. Very sweet. I would have taken a photo but I felt uncomfortable being the silly and invasive tourist that sees a beautiful bride and asks to take her picture. Oh dear. I sure wish I did though. She was truly stunning!

I have been to the salon several more times after this. Ann and I as well as some new friends come along and we make it a ladies day of pampering. Often pedicures and brow threading takes place amidst the typical American girl talk discussing our new lives as we know it in India and it is so nice to sit back in those chairs and sip on sweet'n milky Indian coffee with my Girls! Now that is not too unlike how it is done in America. However, I do seem to appreciate those times here more that I did when I was back home. With all the reminders in Alice's salon that it is still and Indian "saloon" it is a wonderful way to spend time with the Girls and enjoy a little something a little extra for me too!!


-Jenny

4 comments:

  1. I am honored to be mentioned in your blog and thankful that we are 'saloon' buddies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After read your blog I fascinated by Alice's salon. I will definitely visit there and take hot oil massages.I think Lakme saloon also one of the best beauty salons India.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the post. its a nice information about Beauty salon in India. I like your tariff.Entire facilities available. SelectCiti provides more information about Beauty spa in chennai.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice blog and Thanks for describing useful information about effective solution for makeup.
    Hair style in bangalore|Make up professionals in bangalore

    ReplyDelete