Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Jealous for Fall~Yet Finding a Place of Gratitude

Fall, Oh Fall. How I am jealous for thee!


I am constantly hearing of the wonders of the world back home as the pure magic of the Pacific Northwest unveils It's best this time of year. Mornings are crisper with a heavy due and fog settling in on the open pastures and fields, the pumpkin spiced lattes, and ooooooh the leaves...those deliciously crunchy nearly edible, wonderful, leaves!!!! The trees are simply magical. It is so beautiful. There, there is a smell in the air of honey crisp apple cider, pies, and smoke from the piles burning as the ban lifts from summer. (best smell ever) All the kids are talking on Facebook of school supplies, new first day outfits, and school starting this week! That means football games will soon be in full swing and oh how we already do miss living in Lynden.


Truth is, life is real right now, and it is hitting hard. That includes missing home and pumpkin patches, buying apples, getting out the autumn decorations setting them free from their dusty bins in my garage, hosting fall parties...and oooo la la..simply savoring the best time of year. I love the changing of the season into colder weather when my favorite clothes also get to come out of storage boxes and make an appearance again. I can dream about wearing my favorite chunky flat boots, soft wooly sweaters, and knobby knit scarves over a fabulous toggled pea coat that also symbolizes the season.


This year I will just have to pretend, but it is tough because the temperature is still in the 90's, I did not bring my traditional fall Yankee candle, or any decorations for that matter. The apples here are a far cry from the apples that scream fall back home, and the burning smell from the piles is not at all pleasant as here in India they pile up all the garbage on the side of the highways and burn it. Vile stomach wrenching odor!


Ok. Breathe. In and Out. Apologies for my pity party.


As cliché as it might be to type *sigh* into a blog. Yet here it is. *Heavy sigh*


I will pretend. If I don’t I might drive myself mad. If i close my eyes I can see the Yankee candle lit, and I can find some powered cider and pretended that maybe...just maybe...it was chilly(er) outside. If i squint my eyes and look at our trees off the balcony, i can kind of imagine them -the bright yellow, orange, and red blossoms still in full bloom, while squinting they can mesh (like Christmas lights) into the leaves I so desperatly crave as being northwestern and autumnal. I know I’m emotional and my sentimental heart beats wildly at these "little" things, but really this season is so special and having pumpkins growing in my backyard (in our old house we called home) and 2 nieces and a nephew close to carve out traditions and memories and childhood magic with...what an honor...and i am missing all that. I am missing it terribly!


But alas, I am not HOME. I am in India. My new HOME for a time. And while the rest of the America back home prepares for all the things I love in the coming months...so will I. Because I will make it what I want it to be. The sun in India may be hotter...but it's still the same sun that hangs above our friends and families back home. And I have to choose to be content where I am. Today, after my pity party here I choose to happily wear my flip-flops ...for I get summer year round and I sure there will be days after we are settled back in the States that we long for a longer summer when the sun never seemed to stop shining and our skin would just drink it in.


...the grass may always be greener on the other side, right?


There is certainly a lot of beauty here...so much beauty here...and the more I stay, the more I see. And I am grateful to be here. …


To football and apple orchards and back to school, and huddling with hot chocolate in styrofoam cups at the local high school football games might be starting in some parts of the world but I still get to run wildly barefoot on hot sandy paths laden with shells along foamy ocean shores in my part of the world…. this is the place of gratitude—recognizing that where we are is important.

Breathing it all in…..
Where i am...Is here....and even through missing home,


...I have to admit...

...it's pretty "green" here too. :)

1 comment:

  1. Jenny have you gotten any of my emails? If you are busy that is totally fine, I was just curious if maybe they aren't getting through. Hope to hear from you soon!

    ReplyDelete